[Openmp-dev] Location for omptarget

C Bergström via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 29 23:17:59 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Hahnfeld, Jonas via Openmp-dev
<openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m fine with putting libomptarget next to libomp as they are both clearly
> related to each other and to OpenMP.
>

> However, I wonder whether it might be a good idea to move both under the
> umbrella of parallel-libs in the long term.
>
> We can still keep the subdomain or make it a redirect, but if LLVM has a
> collection of “parallel-libs” I think the OpenMP runtime libraries should
> join the fun.

Non-binding votes

I'm +1 for libomptarget to be named liboffload and made a generic new
project. I could potentially help contribute to this. Even if it
starts only with a dependency on tasking, the future direction is
clear.

I'm -1 for libomptarget to be named something confusing or which isn't generic

I'm -1 for inclusion with "parallel-libs". I'm not sure what the
current leadership in that project intends to do. Moving here later is
much easier than trying to extract it out and pick-up broken pieces.

+0 libomptarget to be bundled inside OMP and stay OMP specific. Yay
for code duplication...