[Openmp-dev] LLVM coding conventions an the OpenMP runtime

Chris Lattner via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 10 22:13:33 PDT 2016

> On Aug 8, 2016, at 9:18 AM, Wilmarth, Terry L via Openmp-dev <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> We are considering the possibility of doing a conversion of the OpenMP runtime code to better comply with the LLVM coding conventions in the mid- to late-September time frame.  This would most likely involve running the code through clang-format with the LLVM style option, as well as correcting any other glaring violations of the coding conventions.
>
> It would probably *not* involve renaming anything to adhere to naming conventions.
>
> However, we’ve noted that LLVM’s coding standards document says the following <http://llvm.org/docs/CodingStandards.html#introduction>:
>
> “There are some conventions that are not uniformly followed in the code base (e.g. the naming convention). This is because they are relatively new, and a lot of code was written before they were put in place. Our long term goal is for the entire codebase to follow the convention, but we explicitly do not want patches that do large-scale reformating of existing code. On the other hand, it is reasonable to rename the methods of a class if you’re about to change it in some other way. Just do the reformating as a separate commit from the functionality change.“
>
> This would definitely be a large-scale reformatting.

Hi Terry,

I’m thrilled to hear that you’re interested in doing this.  FYI, there is an exactly analogous discussion going on in the LLDB space, where they are similarly reformatting the world to make it more consistent with LLVM standards.

I think that doing a large scale reformating like this is a great thing to do since it fixes a large problem.  My advice is to do it all as one major commit.  This way there is one discontinuity in the version control stream, and not lots of little ones everywhere.  This is the approach the LLDB community is preferring to take, and I think it is the best approach that gets to the right answer.

-Chris