[Openmp-dev] Splitting version changes

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Wed Oct 8 01:24:31 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Cownie, James H <james.h.cownie at intel.com>
wrote:

> Over on the commits list Hal pointed out that
>
> > These things, and the license headers, should really be committed
> separately.
> > There are several different ways to separate a patch file into separate
> commits
> > (and at least several of us here who have experience doing surgery on
> patches).
> > Feel free to ask for advice (might as well do it on the dev list:
> > it is a common problem), and you shall receive it.
>
> So, Hal, please enlighten us.

I am unfamiliar with any common practice to separate license headers,
copyright notices or similar into an independent commit. When such things
are broadly changed I could see that being independent, but new code should
just come with the headers in tact (and correct). I think I'm not getting
all the context, but please do feel free to clarify if there is some
precedent for this.