[llvm-foundation] Voting

Chris Lattner via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 30 16:29:25 PDT 2016

On Jun 30, 2016, at 4:24 PM, Chris Lattner via llvm-foundation <llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Is there significant resistance to establishing such a team?  If not, how would we create it?  Does the FreeBSD process (=> elections) seem reasonable? Or appointment by the LLVM Foundation?
>
> Right, the issue is that "Hosting on github or not” is not a technical issue decided by code owners.
>
> My personal opinion is that the move to github to be something that should be arbitrated by the Foundation itself.  There is no point in creating another similar-but-different leadership group in the LLVM community.  The Foundation’s purpose is to be that group.

To be extremely clear, my choice of the word “arbitrated” was very intentional.  This is not a project or process that the Foundation itself should drive - that concept doesn’t even make sense, since we need a *person* to drive this.

My preference is for a motivated member of the community (who ideally is NOT a Foundation board member) to drive and define what it means to move to github, rally support for, and help refine a specific written proposal.  Once we have that proposal, then the community can weigh in (I think Tanya’s idea of a web form is a great idea).  Then champion can then summarize the feeling of the community, and if it remains overly contentious, the Foundation can help resolve the issue.

-Chris