[llvm-foundation] Voting

Chris Lattner via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 30 16:24:54 PDT 2016

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 4:03 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> For someone interested in how to settle highly contentious topics which are often subjective in nature, might also want to check out the swift-evolution process.  Nothing is as contentious, polarizing, and subject to personal opinion as making major source breaking changes to a programming language that has millions of active users :-)
>>
>> If you’re interested in the process, it is explained here:
>> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/process.md
>>
>> The archive of proposals that we’ve processed (since December) is here:
>> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution
>>
>> This is a process inspired by several other open source projects as well.  I think it would be very reasonable to adapt a similar model to help arbitrate contentious issues like the move to github.
>
> A key similarity between what David describes in FreeBSD and what's described in the Swift Evolution process is the existence of a "core team", which has the power to set high-level objectives and make decisions.
>
> Is there significant resistance to establishing such a team?  If not, how would we create it?  Does the FreeBSD process (=> elections) seem reasonable? Or appointment by the LLVM Foundation?

Right, the issue is that "Hosting on github or not” is not a technical issue decided by code owners.

My personal opinion is that the move to github to be something that should be arbitrated by the Foundation itself.  There is no point in creating another similar-but-different leadership group in the LLVM community.  The Foundation’s purpose is to be that group.

-Chris