[llvm-foundation] Voting

David Chisnall via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 18 04:12:04 PDT 2016

On 17 Jul 2016, at 15:50, Robinson, Paul via llvm-foundation <llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Lots of bits of our process were premised on a strictly increasing
> integer across branches (aka SVN revision number).  It took a while to
> adapt them all.  We paid that cost to get better merge behavior with
> git, and planned it out on a schedule of our choosing.  Having it
> imposed by upstream would have been far more disruptive.

It’s not totally clear that anyone downstream would have this imposed on them.  If you’re downstream and are using svn upstream, then hopefully you can switch to the GitHub svn without too much pain and still have monotonic revision numbers and so on and retain an upstream VCS that has no integration with whatever you are using downstream (presumably people doing this have a model of pull a snapshot from llvm trunk at a specific known revision into a branch in their repo and then merge to trunk).  If you’re using git already downstream, via either git-svn or the official (or unofficial) git mirrors, then you’re less likely to see an issue.

David