[llvm-foundation] Voting

Renato Golin via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 17 10:06:26 PDT 2016

On 17 July 2016 at 15:50, Robinson, Paul via llvm-foundation
<llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> When we moved from SVN to git internally, it was indeed a big impact.

That's what I was referring to, yes.

> Lots of bits of our process were premised on a strictly increasing
> integer across branches (aka SVN revision number).  It took a while to
> adapt them all.  We paid that cost to get better merge behavior with
> git, and planned it out on a schedule of our choosing.  Having it
> imposed by upstream would have been far more disruptive.

But I don't think we should impose a strict schedule. If we get a vote
around 3.9 is in validation, we can announce it for a move after the
next release (3.10 / 4.0)  is out.

> I’m not saying it *can’t be*, but if all choices you have are the 4 one above, where do you put the individual developer that commits to LLVM once a week but barely knows git? “Big impact” in this context is not the same as for someone who has infrastructure built around SVN (like you, or like LNT).

Tanya's proposal to capture the size of the team deals with that
problem already.

Changing LNT is *certainly* a bigger impact than a single developer's
personal choices and will impact *everyone*. Downstream teams will all
fall into a spectrum in between.

cheers,
--renato