[llvm-dev] LLVM Infrastructure Changes - Moving to Discourse

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 14 00:49:18 PST 2022

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 11:01 AM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:40 PM Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <
> m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> GMail is classifying some messages into spam  ( if the GMail is unable to
>> verify that the
>> mail is coming  from the  "SENDER" ) : This means , the sender is NOT
>> properly configured
>> which is NOT responding to GMail verification checks properly  .
>>
>> I am receiving many such messages from , especially FreeBSD mailing lists
>> due to
>> original sender mail accounts not properly configured or sender name
>> contain
>> invisible invalid characters .
>> LLVM and its associated parts  messages are never classified as spam in
>> my accounts .
>>
>> My opinion is that Discourse messages from LLVM are not properly
>> configured ,
>> GMail is not able  to verify their origin and send them to "spam"
>> directory .
>>
>> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
>>

> If I understand you correctly: if this was the problem, then everyone
> using gmail would have all Discourse email always in spam.
> I don't believe this is that easy or clear cut however: many folks working
> on MLIR are using gmail and Discourse for > 2 years now, and I never had a
> spam issue so far.
> So there likely are some heuristics involved here (I don't have any inside
> knowledge of how gmail works to be clear).
>
> --
> Mehdi

My ideas may not  all be correct . As I said : I am receiving messages from
FreeBSD mailing lists which some of them ( meaning not all of them )  were
sent to the "spam" directory . I have informed one of the message senders
about the issue by writing his e-mail address directly into the "to" area .
He received my message and send me a message saying his mailing system is
working
properly .

I copied and pasted his e-mail address from the FreeBSD delivered message :
Response was
"There is NO such an address" .  Why ?

I have looked at the name from the FreeBSD mailing list with a hexadecimal
editor .
There were characters additional to the original name as invalid characters
not displayed
as text ( perhaps appended by the delivery system due to a name length bug
or ? . )

Whatever the reason I do not know , some names are becoming corrupted in
this way .
When GMail is sending such names to the originating mailing system , the
sender system
is responding "There is NO such an address" .

OR the sending mailing list is using an invalid sender name as its name ,
OR the sending mailing list is not configured properly and either is not
responding or
      its response is incorrect with respect to format to be used

( I have informed a mailing list about spam classified messages  and
possible misconfiguration . The response was : "We have corrected
misconfiguration due
to an unset variable ." : Message delivery was not behaving in a
deterministic way
because of random value of unset variable . )

OR any other reason which I do not know properly .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk