[llvm-dev] Consolidating copies of google/benchmark in the repo (Was: Proposal: introduce dependency on abseil when building benchmarks)

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 29 07:00:12 PDT 2021

Am Mo., 25. Okt. 2021 um 10:18 Uhr schrieb Mircea Trofin <mtrofin at google.com>:
> Circling back from https://reviews.llvm.org/D112012 - would having google/benchmark under a new `llvm-project/third-party` work, instead of `llvm-project/llvm/utils`? (rationale there, TL;DR; libcxx (and other runtimes) wants to detach itself from anything `llvm-project/llvm`)

It would be only part of the solution as libcxx also depends on other
things in llvm-project/llvm (CMake modules, lit, ...). If the goal is
to make libcxx etc independent of the /llvm we should find out where
those other dependencies go. Until then, IMHO there is nothing wrong
to have libcxx depend on /llvm/utils/benchmark since it has /llvm is
needed to build libc++ anyway.

Michael