[llvm-dev] LLVM GPU News #21, October 15 2021

Jakub (Kuba) Kuderski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 17 20:30:10 PDT 2021

Hi folks,

The 21st issue of LLVM GPU News, a bi-weekly newsletter on all the GPU
things under the LLVM umbrella, is out: <
https://llvm-gpu-news.github.io/2021/10/15/issue-21.html>.

I also paste the content below, in case you prefer to read in your email
client.

-Jakub

# LLVM GPU News #21, October 15 2021
Authors: Jakub Kuderski, Lei Zhang

Welcome to LLVM GPU News, a bi-weekly newsletter on all the GPU things
under the LLVM umbrella.
This issue covers the period from September 25 to October 14 2021.

We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know if we missed anything
interesting, or want us to bring attention to your (sub)project, revisions
under review, or proposals. Please see the bottom of the page for details
on how to submit suggestions and contribute.

## Industry News and Conferences

*  [PoCL 1.8 was released](https://github.com/pocl/pocl/releases/tag/v1.8)
and comes with Clang/LLVM 13.0 support and improved support for SPIR/SPIR-V
on CUDA. [PoCL is a portable open source implementation of the OpenCL
standard](http://portablecl.org/) for CPUs, NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, and TCE
ASIPs.

##  LLVM and Clang

### Discussions

*  [Nicholas Wilson asked about the signature of NVPTX surface intrinsics](
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-October/153239.html) which
have `i8` in name but return `i16` results. There are no replies at the
time of writing.

### Commits

*  AMDGPU meta instructions (e.g., `KILL`s) are ignored when forming
clauses. [D106042](https://reviews.llvm.org/D106042)
*  AMDGPU now removes frame indices which become dead after SGPR spills.
[D111150](https://reviews.llvm.org/D111150)
*  Clang's CUDA implementation has experimental support for texture lookup.
[D110089](https://reviews.llvm.org/D110089)

## MLIR

### Discussions

### Commits

* `gpu.launch` op now supports dynamic shared memory. [D110800](
https://reviews.llvm.org/D110800)
*  SPIR-V to LLVM conversion now propagates location information from
`spv.GlobalVariable` to `llvm.mlir.global`. [D110207](
https://reviews.llvm.org/D110207)
*  SPIR-V to LLVM conversion now handles entry points with the same name
but different execution modes. [D111193](https://reviews.llvm.org/D111193)
*  Standard to SPIR-V conversion now supports min/max ops. [D111143](
https://reviews.llvm.org/D111143)
*  SPIR-V atomic ops now verifies memory semantics. [D111510](
https://reviews.llvm.org/D111510)

## OpenMP (Target Offloading)

### Discussions

*  Matthew Grismer is interested in [OpenMP offloading for Apple Silicon](
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-October/153294.html).
[Johannes Doerfert was not aware of any ongoing efforts](
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-October/153306.html) and
mentioned codegen support for these series of GPUs as a prerequisite.

### Commits

*  Clang now has partial support for Static Device Libraries. The initially
supported targets include AMDGPU and NVPTX. [D105191](
https://reviews.llvm.org/D105191)

## External Compilers

### LLPC

*  Immutable samplers are supported in relocatable shaders. [LLPC#1416](
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/llpc/pull/1416)