[llvm-dev] Question about ARM/aarch64 backend

David Spickett via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 13 02:04:50 PDT 2021

> Is aarch64 backend meant for 64-bit line of products and ARM has support for both A32 and T32?

Pretty much.

AArch64 (the architecture itself) started at Armv8. Anything before
that was 32 bit only (AArch32 if you will). So "AArch64" is for 64 bit
only, v8.0-a and above. "ARM" is for 32 bit only, from the latest
architecture versions all the way back to Armv6. (with some earlier
armv4 stuff but YMMV there)

So you can have an Armv8.5-a Arm target but you couldn't have an
Armv7-A AArch64 target.

And you'll also see some AArch64 capable CPUs listed for the ARM
backend because they can run 32 bit code as well.