[llvm-dev] Chains in selection DAG restricting optimization possibilities

Kai Plociennik via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 13 01:38:43 PDT 2021

Dear all,

I have a question about chains in the selection DAG. For our target, we
have defined some intrinsics which access memory, and marked the
intrinsics to indicate that they do so (e.g. IntrReadMem).

The following source code

values1[0] = a[0];
values2[0] = a[0];
result[0] = values1[0] + values2[0];

leads to the following part in the selection DAG

t0: ch = EntryToken
t29: f32,ch = SPECIAL_READ Register:i32 %1, <0>, t0
t13: ch = llvm.spu.store t29:1, <7588>, t29, <0>, ...
t28: f32,ch = SPECIAL_READ Register:i32 %1, <0>, t13
t16: ch = llvm.spu.store t28:1, <7588>, t28, <1>, ...

so that the chain effectively states that all instructions have to be
executed in the given order. However, from looking at the source code,
it can be seen that we could e.g. execute the first two statements "...
= a[0]" in parallel.

My question is: Are we doing something wrong here? Is there a more
fine-grained way to define which memory locations could be accessed by
our intrinsics so that not-so-restrictive chains would be created? Or
should this be done be a special pass in the backend?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Kai Plociennik

--
Dr. Kai Plociennik
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM
mail: kai.plociennik at itwm.fraunhofer.de
www.itwm.fraunhofer.de