[llvm-dev] Consolidating copies of google/benchmark in the repo (Was: Proposal: introduce dependency on abseil when building benchmarks)

Mircea Trofin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 12 13:20:31 PDT 2021

Relabeling the thread, because we abandoned the abseil dependency in
google/benchmark upstream, but we still have the topic of 3 copies of
roughly the same thing in LLVM.

So the summary is: today we have:

llvm-test-suite/MicroBenchmarks/libs/benchmark/
llvm-project/llvm/utils/benchmark
llvm-project/libcxx/utils/google-benchmark

Each copy is maintained as needed, and cherrypicks are quite similar
across the copies.

If we want to get to one copy, Chris' proposal was to consolidate on
'llvm-project/llvm/utils/benchmark'; and presumably we don't have any
reason to change the way we maintain the copy.

I'd like to do this consolidation. Is there any pushback to the plan above?

One thing that does come to mind, llvm-test-suite can be cloned separately
from llvm-project/llvm. We'd need to point to llvm (or just
llvm/utils/benchmark), and require that it be available on bots, for
example. Does that cause an issue for anyone?

Thanks,
Mircea