[llvm-dev] RFC: Code Review Process

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 5 11:35:52 PDT 2021

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 19:16, Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:

> However, it's not a good position for the Board to be responsible
> for something that it doesn't have control over.  If Google decided to
> stop hosting
> Phabricator for some reason (unlikely, but not impossible), the Board
> would be
> responsible for finding a replacement.

Sorry, this is a very weak reason for such a strong worded "RFC".

I _cannot_ imagine "Google" stopping to support something so quickly as to
leave the foundation without recourse. And even if they did, *no one* would
blame the foundation for that.

Even if you ignore all the effort that hundreds of their engineers have
done over the past decade to the project, this would hurt Google more than
anyone else. It's a far fetched concern.

And if the foundation wants "control" of a piece of infrastructure that
Google has been maintaining for years, then this is a different discussion.
Hopefully one that doesn't involve unilateral decisions.

> The main risk is that Phabricator is no longer maintained upstream.
> There was already an issue[1] recently where the arc tool stopped working
> and won't
> be fixed upstream. Using unmaintained software is a bigger risk.

I don't like using unmaintained software either, but I think our Phab has
had more attention than the upstream project. And no one has to use arc, I
certainly never have.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Phab and I think Github would bring new
people to the project, but it's gotta be done the right way, and pushing it
isn't it.

We, meaning the LLVM Board of Directors.  And really the problem isn't the
> self-hosting
> so much as it's the lack of an enforceable maintenance agreement the
> Foundation and the
> maintainers.

The problem isn't self-hosting at all, given that Google is doing that.
(apologies, I assumed otherwise earlier).

Neither is maintenance, given Google is doing that too.

The only thing that's left is control, and I don't really understand why
this is important, as I explained above.

cheers,
--renato