[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #405, October 4th 2021
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 4 11:28:32 PDT 2021
LLVM Weekly - #405, October 4th 2021
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the four hundred and fifth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
The LLVM Foundation have
an outdoor in-person event, the LLVM Bay Area Meetup, which will take place on
## On the mailing lists
* ORC JIT Weekly #40 [is
covering the switch to SimpleRemoteEPC.
* Paul Robinson asks if [others would be interested in a tool to check
TargetLibraryInfo against actual
* Chris Tetreault [warned of an SSL-related issue using arcanist to access
This naturally reignited discussion on moving away from Phabricator. In
a parallel thread, Mehdi Amini [summarised the two main identified
from an Infrastructure Working Group meeting.
* Snehasish Kumar shared an RFC on [introducing a binary serialization format
* Mircea Trofin is seeking feedback from the LLVM community on [introducing a
dependency on abseil into Google's benchmark
for the upstream discussion.
* Noah Shutty shared plans on [building a debuginfod client and server library
as part of the LLVM
* Jay Foad provide a summary of [recent work on enabling the machine verifier
in more places in the pass pipeline and transitioning
Jay is seeking code reviews, comments, patches, advice, testing, etc.
* Jonas Paulsson details a [common
where frontends neglect to add signext/zeroext as needed on an argument
passed by register and suggested introducing a new structarg attribute, and
then erroring in the backend if the parameter doesn't have
## LLVM commits
* isSafeToMoveBefore was made less pessimistic.
* The type promotion pass was enabled for AArch64, removing some unnecessary
* A number of in-tree tests were updated to use `-passes <passname>` to specify
the pass pipeline in favour of the deprecated `-passname` arguments.
* As part of the SystemZ z/OS LLVM work, an initial GOFF assembly parser
skeleton has been committed.
* New LLVM metadata helper functions `printTree` and `dumpTree` allow
printing an MDNode in an easy to read tree shape.
## Clang commits
* A new `clang final` pragma was introduced, enabling warning on undefinition
and re-definition of macros.
* clang-cl gained support for `#pragma warning(disable : N)` to disable
warnings matching the specified integer identifier.
* `-Wbool-operation` was extended to warn about bitwise AND of booleans with
side effects. [f62d18f](https://reviews.llvm.org/rGf62d18ff140f).
* clang-formatted-files.txt was checked in, which aims to list all files
within LLVM that are unchanged when processed by clang-format. This list
will be used to ensure changes to clang-format don't unexpectedly change
its output. [5aca8bb](https://reviews.llvm.org/rG5aca8bb963a4).
* clang-tidy now recognises `NOLINTBEGIN` and `NOLINTEND` comments to delimit
regions where clang-tidy warnings should be suppressed.
## Other project commits
* LLVM's libc gained implementations of the conditional variable functions
defined in the C standard.
* libcxx's std::format implemented Unicode support.
* Min/max operations were added to the standard MLIR dialect.
* LLVM's OpenMP library now features libompd - the OpenMP debugging library.
More information about the llvm-dev