[llvm-dev] Proposal: Make the VE target official

Simon Moll via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 29 04:35:48 PST 2021

On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 10:36 +0000, Renato Golin wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 08:32, Simon Moll <Simon.Moll at emea.nec.com>
> wrote:
> > * Buildbot worker times are down to 7-8mins. We use ccache (thx!).
> > * We're set up to enable a worker reporting to the main buildbot
> > instance.
> > * The `clang-ve-ninja` buildbot is green and its testing represents
> > what is supported for VE.
> >

> Awesome!
>
> > 1. Connect the VE worker to main buildbot instance.
> > 2. Add `VE` to the LLVM target list, thereby making it official
> > (D113247).
> >

> This will trigger all bots that don't restrict targets to build VE,
> and you may get some failures here already.
I see no harm in moving clang-ve-ninja to main buildbot while we are
watching the ramifications play out for all builders. Builders don't
interfere with one another. There will only be better coverage.

> I'll add a pause here and make sure none of the failures are VE
> related.
>
> > 3. Update llvm-zorg to build VE as an official target and enable
> > buildbot reporting for VE (D113389).
> >

> I don't understand this step. Does that mean you want to add VE to
> other buildbots? Or just that your buildbot will be added without VE
> in step 1?
This only matters for the clang-ve-ninja builder. The llvm-zorg patch
moves 'VE' from the experimental target to the targets_to_build cmake
option for clang-ve-ninja and enables reporting on failure. This will
not effect other bots.
I wouldn't normally do an llvm-zorg patch for this but since it is part
of the concerted effort to make VE official i felt a Diff was in order.

- Simon