[llvm-dev] [RFC] Raise the minimum Visual Studio version to VS2019

Simon Pilgrim via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 23 03:55:56 PST 2021

Now that VS2022 is on general release, LLVM is expected to build on
VS2017, VS2019 and VS2022.

What are people's thoughts on raising the minimum supported version to
latest VS2019 (_MSC_VER = 1927)? Customarily, we've only specifically
supported the latest 2 versions of Visual Studio, with older versions
being "allowed" (at your own risk) via the LLVM_FORCE_USE_OLD_TOOLCHAIN
cmake flag.

I'm thinking we should either make the switch now, in plenty of time
before the next release of LLVM, or we postpone it until shortly after
the release branch is created (which I assume will be early 2022).

For the record, I haven't so far noticed any issues with supporting
VS2017, VS2019 and VS2022 builds, so at this time I don't consider this
very urgent, just a general maintenance task - although somebody out
there may know of specific fixes in VS2019+ that could simplify LLVM
handling for MSVC etc.

Cheers, Simon.