[llvm-dev] PowerPC LLVM support much appreciated

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 10 06:06:52 PST 2021

Hello!

On 11/10/21 14:47, Nemanja Ivanovic wrote:
> While I certainly sympathize with enthusiast developers working on obsolete
> systems and doing some pretty cool hacking, I agree that the goals of an
> actively developed back end and an enthusiast-maintained back end are
> rather different.
>
> Any code for Darwin PPC in the upstream back end is a burden for new
> development on actively supported platforms such as Linux, AIX and FreeBSD.
> Similarly, all the new code added for those actively supported platforms as
> well as new hardware is a burden for enthusiast developers looking to
> maintain support for obsolete platforms. As such, I believe that
> coexistence in the same codebase provides little benefit while causing a
> fair bit of friction. I would suggest that an out-of-tree back end for
> Darwin PPC would reduce this friction.

I fully understand the reasoning and I absolutely agree with you. However, the
the actual changes required to get LLVM to build on Darwin/PPC seem to be rather
minimal, given when we ignore the additional tests which is why I don't think
that Darwin/PPC would actually be such a maintenance burden.

It would be different if there was no support for either Darwin or PPC at all, but
that's not the case. It's more a question of tying to pieces of string together
which are already there.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz