[llvm-dev] PowerPC LLVM support much appreciated

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 10 05:47:59 PST 2021

I am sorry about the delay, somehow I lost this email in my inbox.

While I certainly sympathize with enthusiast developers working on obsolete
systems and doing some pretty cool hacking, I agree that the goals of an
actively developed back end and an enthusiast-maintained back end are
rather different.

Any code for Darwin PPC in the upstream back end is a burden for new
development on actively supported platforms such as Linux, AIX and FreeBSD.
Similarly, all the new code added for those actively supported platforms as
well as new hardware is a burden for enthusiast developers looking to
maintain support for obsolete platforms. As such, I believe that
coexistence in the same codebase provides little benefit while causing a
fair bit of friction. I would suggest that an out-of-tree back end for
Darwin PPC would reduce this friction.

While I understand there are definite disadvantages to keeping code
out-of-tree due to interface/API changes, I think that these changes are
less frequent than the daily interactions that developers for active
platforms would have with code that is specific to Darwin PPC.

Nemanja