[llvm-dev] Consolidating copies of google/benchmark in the repo (Was: Proposal: introduce dependency on abseil when building benchmarks)

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 3 13:33:03 PDT 2021

> >> llvm-project/llvm for other reasons too, including layering (they can’t
> >> depend on other things in llvm) and license clarity.

> >> I'm in favor of this, but gtest currently has a dependency on
> LLVMSupport.
> >
> > According to the README we have local patches to support a few targets
> that
> > upstream gtest doesn't, and also allow some LLVM types (StringRef etc)
> to be
> > used in the printing features.
>
> Huh ok.  Could that be handled by making them be a template or something?
>
> -Chris

Without taking a deep look, that doesn't seem to be how gtest expects to be
customized.  The StringRef/SmallString stuff is in a header that's intended
to be modified by an installation, and consists of overloads that let the
gtest code DTRT when you do something like

    EXPECT_EQ(a, b) << c;

and 'c' is a StringRef or SmallString.

I haven't tried to look into the OS support.
--paulr