[llvm-dev] [External] Re: Performance benefits shown in [RFC: CSSPGO with Pseudo-Instrumentation] can't be reproduced.

Hongtao Yu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 2 10:14:27 PDT 2021

Replied inline.

________________________________
From: 徐青青 <xuqingqing.0729 at bytedance.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 2:16 AM
To: Lei Wang <wlei at fb.com>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: [llvm-dev] Performance benefits shown in [RFC: CSSPGO with Pseudo-Instrumentation] can't be reproduced.

Can you send the results for each benchmark in SpecCPU2006 in detail instead of Geometric? I can compare your results with SpecCPU2017 because there are some common benchmarks in SpecCPU2006 and SpecCPU2017.

And in patch <https://reviews.llvm.org/D110081> https://reviews.llvm.org/D110081<https://reviews.llvm.org/D110081>
I also have questions:

  1.  ​Have you seen the compilation error when you use CSSPGO in SpecCPU2006? I seen the error in SpecCPU2017-502.gcc_r. This benchmark also exists in SpecCPU2006.

​
What compilation error did you see?

  1.  ​About the fix, we may have better choice. About the question: Can we potentially lose contexts when an invalid line offset is one of the frames? Like A:-1 @ B:2 @ C:3, without this change, we could still have samples for B:2 @ C:3. But I think that's rare.

  *   You say that: you haven't seen those cases, it seems it only happened for leaf frame. Even it can be leaf call, there is no samples hit the callee. you can add a warning on the non-leaf frame invalid line of stack address.

  *   As for me, I have seen the cases that happened for non-leaf frame. And if you filter out such callstack, the number of samples will decrease sharply. I haven't use the llvm-master successfully. After that I expect to show you.

For the case like A:-1 @ B:2 @ C:3, see the call stack will be truncated to B:2 @ C:3,. As a result, the compiler will no longer be able to inline every function into A. The number of samples, in terms of LBR samples, will still be kept.

There is a warning emitted for that. Please see https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/tools/llvm-profgen/PerfReader.cpp#L436-L437. It may not be in the 12.x branch.

We noticed a compiler optimization, aka, tail merge optimization, can cause such truncated stack cases. You may want to try turning it off with  -enable-tail-merge=0.

If possible, I look forward to a voice conference with you if you are  convenient at any time.