[llvm-dev] External linkage functions which allocate memory

raghesh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 2 03:56:48 PDT 2021

Hi All,

In a linked LLVM-IR module, I would like to know if any of the functions
with external linkage allocate memory. The definitions of these functions
are not available in the linked IR. For example, the 'strdup' function.

If I understand the definition of 'readnone' attribute correctly, I think
one way to do this is to check if the function declaration has 'readnone'
attached to it [1]. Is this correct?

Please let me know if there are any other reliable methods to do the same.

[1] https://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html

Regards,
Raghesh
Raghesh Aloor