[llvm-dev] License question regarding use of LLVM

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 31 10:34:47 PDT 2021

I understand that the Apache 2.0 license is about code on which the
license is applied and not on code that may use, for example, in this
instance the LLVM compiler to compile that separate code.

If you were to include licensed code within your own code, you would
then need to account for that included code by giving the Apache
license. You  may be able to license the non-Apache code separately but
mixing code this way can make it hard to see how the code is separately
licensed. Separating code through libraries and include files would be
recommended.

I do not think APIs, the interfaces, can be licensed. The use of
licensed tools would not require your code using those tools to have the
same license.

Neil Nelson