[llvm-dev] License question regarding use of LLVM

Muhammad Ali via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 31 04:13:14 PDT 2021

Hello Sir/Madam,

I am unclear about the use of LLVM with regards to what I need to do to
obey the Apache 2.0 license listed on the LLVM website. Here are the
questions I have listed out for your convenience:

1. If I'm writing code that I compile using Clang as my compiler of choice,
will that require me to include a license file that includes the copyright
details mentioned on LLVM's website?

2. If I'm working on a programming language of my own that may later use
LLVM's api or tools to generate LLVM IR code, will I also need to include a
license file that details the copyright details mentioned in question 1?

3. Since LLVM is open source, does that imply that the code I write (that
doesn't modify LLVM source code in any way instead uses LLVM tools) is also
open source under any license of my choosing, or is it bound by the Apache
2.0 license as well?

4. If I'm simply planning on using LLVM's tools (Clang and LLVM IR
generation) to implement a compiler/interpreter for my own programming
language, would the same scenarios in questions 1-3 apply.

Forgive me for the many questions, I'm certainly no lawyer and would like
to know the proper methods to handle licenses for open source software. I'm
a university student majoring in Computer Engineering and most of my focus
is on the engineering end for creating things rather than legal IP
licensing, etc. I would appreciate any help I can receive.

- Muhammad