[llvm-dev] Using clang/lld from the PATH when testing

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 14 09:27:09 PDT 2021

This sounds more accidental than intentional - if it only happens if you
haven't built the specified binary in your build tree & you're running the
tests for that specified binary. That seems super niche and someone could,
at worst, copy some arbitrary binary into their build tree to test it,
rather than relying on this fallback.

I'd say remove it & probably don't bother adding the variables, personally.
If someone comes back with a use case (they should get a pretty hard
failure - since previously/currently they'd get a fallback to their
intended binary and in the future/proposal they'd get a "cannot find
executable" - don't suppose there's some way to make that failure a bit
more specific without a ton of work? They can bisect back to the revision
that caused the change I guess) - can add the variables to support
it/discuss what it should look like then.