[llvm-dev] [RFC] Implementing the sanitizer runtimes for heterogeneous devices

Sharma, Reshabh Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 10 08:30:52 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Following approach #2 from the previous RFC, we are preparing some updates to the address sanitizer
runtime and we would like to get some feedback on how to approach these changes.

In order to isolate the impact of our changes on others, we are thinking to guard our changes inside a
distinguishable macro, for example, SANITIZER_AMDGPU, and to localize our changes as much as possible
within new files whose name includes AMDGPU.  We would your feedback on this, and suggestions
about how to trigger the definition of the macro. The host runtime will always be targeted to the host
which implies that we will not be able to check the target architecture and set the macro, like other
architectures. We propose two ways to achieve this:

  1.  Based on LLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD value

We can look for AMDGPU in the LLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD string and trigger the AMDGPU

specific macro. We will make sure it does not trigger with the default option which is the list of

all the supported architectures.

  1.  Adding a new cmake flag

We could require a specific cmake variable be set which when used will trigger the AMDGPU

specific macro.
We are definitely open to other alternatives.

Many thanks,
Reshabh