[llvm-dev] Tablegen backend for emulator core?

Min-Yih Hsu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 17 15:26:37 PDT 2021

This is a cool idea and AFAIK there isn’t any project that has done similar thing.

However IMO a potential problem is: In this story, LLVM only eases the efforts of writing a disassembler from scratch (and parsing object file formats for you). But we already can use the implementation of MCDisassembler provided by each target as a normal library to perform disassembly. Same for parsing object file formats.
In other words, it’s already easy to use LLVM’s disassembler in an emulator project.

It is, however, an attractive option to _directly_ generate part of the emulator code. We can even provide handler code for each instruction in the TG description as you have suggested. It would be a cool out-of-tree project for sure, but I see little chance to go upstream because it’s pretty far away from LLVM’s original goal.

Best,
-Min