[llvm-dev] Best practices for rebasing nascent backend?

John Byrd via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 12 15:50:49 PST 2021

Dear llvm,

A few of us are working on a novel LLVM backend in a separate repository,
and our new branch uses a lot of the fancy new MLIR stuff.  We'd like the
group's opinions as to best practices for keeping in sync with llvm's
main branch.

Some of us opine that we should be periodically rebasing our backend on the
tip of main.  This has the advantage that we benefit from new main
features, but it has the disadvantage that main seems to usually be broken
in many of the test suites. So it's hard to find a stable commit in main,
which passes all the tests on all the buildbots, that we can rebase onto.

And some of us opine that we should be merging our work with main.  This
has the advantage that we never rewrite history, but it also means that it
will be painful to squash or rebase our commits, if we ever decide to
submit our work upstream.

We've considered doing our work based on one of the release branches, but
until recently the development docs recommended against this.

Wisdom would be appreciated; thank you.

--
---

John Byrd