[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Mailing List Status Update

Tobias Hieta via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 23 23:29:26 PDT 2021

> Well, it's not surprising that people who use Discord don't propose the use of IRC (and vice versa), but this doesn't make the community less fractured.

No I am not surprised about that - but the original message I replied
to made it seem like there was huge confusion and people where sent
back and forth between IRC and discord and that was what I wanted to
point out is not really happening.

> The main objective of the list is to discuss the project, long and hard issues, and both old and new people can use mailing lists with pretty much any mail client out there.
>
> If the argument to move to Discourse is because it's better for long and hard discussions for the majority of the community, then that's a clear signal.

I think this is important as well and from my point of view Discourse
is much better for long discussions:

* Code formatting is easy and much better than in any email
integration I have seen.
* Threading is more obvious and easier to follow
* No problems with "top posting" and replying to a single person
instead of the full list.
* Moderation tools were already touched on - but since I don't
moderate the mailing list I don't want to comment on it too much.

> If it's just because it's where all the cool kids are these days, then I think we're looking for the wrong goals.
>
> 5 years ago, all cool kids (*) were using Slack, now they're using Discourse / Discord, who knows where they'll all be in 5 years time?
>
> I don't think popularity should be a factor in choosing a new tool, or we'll be eternally chasing doomed platforms.

I 100% agree, but we also shouldn't turn down a better/more accessible
alternative just because of inertia either.

I am not making a cool kids argument here, I can't in fact claim to be
a cool kid since I still program in C++.

-- Tobias