[llvm-dev] Address of instruction in codegen

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 23 12:18:22 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I have a need to generate the address of an instruction during codegen.
Is there any way to do this?  I was hoping that I could split the basic
block very late and then use an MO_BlockAddress MachineOperand, but
apparently generating such a thing requires a BlockAddress object, which
in turn would force splitting the basic block very early, at the IR
level.

I don't actually need the address until just before regalloc.  In fact,
generating a BlockAddress early would probably result in a dead
Instruction as I wouldn't have anything to actually connect it to as a
user.  I suppose I could use a dummy target intrinsic as a user but that
seems very hacky.

I also thought about doing this extremely late and encoding the address
generation during binary streaming in the MC layer but that also seems
very hacky and difficult to maintain, requiring various
pseudo-instructions to live until asm or object writing.

Any brilliant ideas out there?

                        -David