[llvm-dev] RFC: New mechanism for hard register operands to inline asm

Madhur Amilkanthwar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 23 01:45:57 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 2:09 PM David Chisnall via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 22/06/2021 16:54, Anirudh Prasad via llvm-dev wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We wanted to bring up the possibility of introducing a new inline asm
> constraint for all targets. This new constraint is meant to be used as a
> replacement for the register asm construct. Part of the motivation behind
> this proposal is to come up with something that is a bit nicer and more
> obvious to use. The new inline asm constraint would be as follows:
> >
> > {“<register-name>”} (operand name) ...
> >
> > The constraint will try to tie the particular inline asm operand to a
> specific register.
> >
> > This is also proposed as an RFC in the GCC mailing lists (
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-June/236269.html). We would
> ideally like to maintain consistency with GCC.
>
> It looks as if you're proposing a new representation of *C* inline
> assembly, not LLVM IR inline assembly.  As such, the only LLVM component
> that need to be modified to support it is Clang.  If you post this on
> the Clang developers list, you are likely to get feedback from the right
> set of people.

I agree with David. This more or less looks like a language extension than
a compiler/IR thing.
It is an alternate form of inline asm which is more user friendly.
I don't think any compiler would object to this if it is approved by a
language committee or SIG.

> David

*Disclaimer: Views, concerns, thoughts, questions, ideas expressed in this
mail are of my own and my employer has no take in it. *
Thank You.
Madhur D. Amilkanthwar