[llvm-dev] RFC: Revisiting LLD-as-a-library design

Neil Henning via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 14 01:45:01 PDT 2021

+1 on this proposal from Reid (thanks for bringing this to the list!)

I'll drop a brain dump of why we (Unity) would like this proposal: we're
running into the same problems that Andrew noted for Zig above. At present
we are using LLD to do an on-disk JIT effectively:

   - this gets us debugging support for 'free' (write a PDB to disk next to
   the DLL, et voila you can debug)
   - it lets us cache binaries that don't change across source file changes
   to reduce overall build times

We've seen cases where we call LLD as-a-subprocess 2000 times with this
approach. While I noted on the Windows/COFF call that we are taking steps
to try and mitigate the number of calls to LLD, we'll still likely be in
the 100~ ish DLLs built and thus 100~ ish calls to LLD. The cost of
spawning all these LLD subprocesses is a good 15% of our build pipeline. As
an experiment I tried running LLD-as-a-library and serialized the accesses
to the linker, and it was only a little bit slower than having N threads
launching N instances of LLD. That gives me good hope that having an actual
thread-safe way to run LLD will substantially reduce our build times,
meaning happy users.

-Neil.

Neil Henning
Senior Software Engineer Compiler