[llvm-dev] LoopVectorizer: Should the cost-model be used for legalisation?

Vineet Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 11 11:36:25 PDT 2021

Hi,

IIUC, for option 1, unless the legalizer and the cost-model follow the
same logic to determine the feasibility of scalable-vectorization, it
seems inaccurate to assert that if something is legal it must have a
valid cost. But if that assertion is relaxed, then as you mentioned in
another reply, it would be a  de facto choice for option 2. If we don't
relax this assertion then for it to be accurate legalizer and cost-model
will both do redundant work. Also, IIRC, an invalid cost also models a
too-expensive-to-be-useful operation but that doesn't really imply
illegal operation.

I am not sure if this makes sense, but with option 2, since VPlans are
not discarded upfront there is a chance that a transofrmation on VPlan
might actually make it feasible.

I didn't think deeply about this so I might be missing some obvious and
key facts. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best,

Vineet