[llvm-dev] put "str" in __attribute__((annotate("str"))) to dwarf

Aaron Ballman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 10 12:30:49 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:16 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:10 PM Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:

>> > Looks like this attribute is not well documented.
>>
>> Correct -- it's an ancient attribute that predates us documenting
>> attributes at all.
>>
>> > I forgot how I found it. But below is a public blog on how it could be used:
>> >    https://blog.quarkslab.com/implementing-a-custom-directive-handler-in-clang.html
>> > I then went to
>> >   clang/include/clang/Basic/Attr.td
>> > and found
>> >
>> > def Annotate : InheritableParamAttr {
>> >   let Spellings = [Clang<"annotate">];
>> >   let Args = [StringArgument<"Annotation">, VariadicExprArgument<"Args">];
>> >   // Ensure that the annotate attribute can be used with
>> >   // '#pragma clang attribute' even though it has no subject list.
>> >   let AdditionalMembers = [{
>> >   static AnnotateAttr *Create(ASTContext &Ctx, llvm::StringRef Annotation, \
>> >               const AttributeCommonInfo &CommonInfo) {
>> >     return AnnotateAttr::Create(Ctx, Annotation, nullptr, 0, CommonInfo);
>> >   }
>> >   static AnnotateAttr *CreateImplicit(ASTContext &Ctx, llvm::StringRef
>> > Annotation, \
>> >               const AttributeCommonInfo &CommonInfo = {SourceRange{}}) {
>> >     return AnnotateAttr::CreateImplicit(Ctx, Annotation, nullptr, 0,
>> > CommonInfo);
>> >   }
>> >   }];
>> >   let PragmaAttributeSupport = 1;
>> >   let Documentation = [Undocumented];
>> > }
>> >
>> > and tried to use it for places BPF cares about and it all covers.
>>
>> I don't think it's a good idea to use annotate for BPF needs. The
>> basic idea behind annotate is that it's a way to pass arbitrary string
>> (and starting very recently, other kinds of constant expressions) from
>> the frontend to the backend. So it's a general-purpose tool that's
>> used for one-off situations. As an example, attribute plugins will use
>> it because they cannot currently create their own semantic attribute
>> easily, and I think the static analyzer may make use of the feature as
>> well. Because the BPF needs are so specific, I think it'd be better to
>> use an attribute dedicated to those needs rather than using a
>> general-purpose attribute like annotate -- this will reduce the
>> likelihood of conflicts with the other creative uses people put
>> annotate to.
>

> Any suggestions/preferences for the spelling, Aaron?

I don't know this domain particularly well, so takes these suggestions
with a giant grain of salt:

If the concept is specific to DWARF and you don't think it'll need to
extend into other debug formats, you could go with `dwarf_annotate`.
If it's not really a DWARF thing but is more about B[P|T]F, then
`btf_annotate`  or `bpf_annotate` could work, but those may be a bit
mysterious to folks outside of the domain. If it's a generic debug
info concept, probably `debug_info_annotate` or something.

My primary concern with reusing `annotate` itself is because user
programs are likely already using that attribute for basically
arbitrary purposes, so I worry reusing it for this purpose may
accidentally expose annotations in debug info that the user never
really expected to be there (which may confuse whatever is reading the
annotations from the debug info).

~Aaron