[llvm-dev] Pushing a patch for someone else

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 28 08:00:56 PST 2021

It's a bit of a manual process given that we don't use branches
and a pull-request model as GitHub favors, but it's not hard.
I don't think I've done this myself since the move to github so
I might be missing a step, hopefully others will chime in to fix
my mistakes.

Assuming the patch is in a Phabricator review, there should be a
oddly enough, should download a diff file, which you can then apply
to your working tree with "patch" or similar utility.

What I do then is copy the summary into a text file, making sure
the formatting looks reasonable.  You want to add two lines to it:

Patch by <name of author>

Differential Revision: https://reviews.llvm.org/Dxxxxx

filling in the author and actual review number.  Make sure there's
a blank line before the Differential Revision line.

Then you commit this as usual, but add the --author option to
provide (I think) the email address of the author.  (This might be
redundant with the "Patch by" information, so the current practice
might be to leave out "Patch by", not sure.)  And of course -F to
specify the file where you put the commit message.

Once it's committed, do the usual build/test/push.

HTH,
--paulr