[llvm-dev] LLVM log file

Stefanos Baziotis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 26 06:40:24 PST 2021

Hi David,

Sure I agree in part but "very misleading" is a strong statement and I
think we might want to see a different perspective. People present this
mental model in conferences [1]
"If you want to optimize, you use opt, which takes LLVM IR and generates
LLVM IR". We could say that this is misleading too, as it seems that opt
does the optimization, but is it really?
This an "Introduction to LLVM", going into specifics at this point would
probably confuse people a lot more than it would help them.

Same here [2]. Chandler was using clang -O2, then he used opt -O2
mentioning it as the "default" pipeline. Wow, that should be super
misleading, but again is it really? Would it help
if Chandler stopped and said "Oh by the way... Let me digress here and
explain a thing about libraries and opt etc."

With the same logic, when I said "target-independent" optimizations, that
was misleading too.

But my message was like, 1 page long already and I think spending another 1
page (or more) to explain such things would not help. And I think this is
similar for people in conferences and llvm posts.

Anyway, it's obvious that your message came with good intentions and I
appreciate that. But I think it should be mentioned that for any beginner
trying to understand the beast called LLVM,
it's not super important to know it now, at least IMHO. But it's good to be
mentioned that it's not the grand truth so that they come back to it when
they're more comfortable with the "approximation".

Best,
Stefanos

[1] https://youtu.be/J5xExRGaIIY?t=429
[2] https://youtu.be/s4wnuiCwTGU?t=433

Στις Τρί, 26 Ιαν 2021 στις 11:47 π.μ., ο/η David Chisnall via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> έγραψε: