[llvm-dev] Need help in understanding CallSite

Nagaraju Mekala via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 22 05:49:38 PST 2021

Hi Mircea,

Thanks for the reply.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:10 PM Mircea Trofin <mtrofin at google.com> wrote:

> CallSite and CallSiteBase were removed in fdbf493a705c. I'm assuming you're working on a branch before that. To future-proof the code, it'd be probably best to not use CallSite, and instead use CallBase (an Instruction, base class to CallInst, CallBrInst or InvokeInst) and get the information from it, e.g. getCalledOperand.

Sorry I forgot to mention the version. I am using the LLVM 3.9 and
have some tool dependencies with the version so had to stay on this
older release.

> For your case, could it be that the use of the function is not a call, but, for example, an expression taking the address of the function? When debugging, I find it useful to call dump() on the various objects of interest, it very quickly reveals what's happening.

This is definitely a function call, after using the dump() and
analyzing the IR I found that <bitcast> is being used. Due to
<bitcast> the f->user_begin() is not getting the proper InstTy.

Thanks,
Nagaraju