[llvm-dev] How can I fix the error "Inline asm not supported [...] because we don't have an asm parser for this target"?

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 21 12:08:49 PST 2021

   Hello.
     I am trying to build against the latest LLVM source from GitHub (from Jan 23 2021) my
research processor back end, which is mostly inspired from the BPF LLVM back end. While
trying this, I got this error that I didn't encounter until now:
      <<LLVM ERROR: Inline asm not supported by this streamer because we don't have an asm
parser for this target"
       llvm::AsmPrinter::emitInlineAsm(llvm::StringRef, llvm::MCSubtargetInfo const&,
llvm::MCTargetOptions const&, llvm::MDNode const*, llvm::InlineAsm::AsmDialect) const
llvm/lib/CodeGen/AsmPrinter/AsmPrinterInlineAsm.cpp:156:9>>

     Again, this is the first time I encounter this error. It is true I am using quite a
bit inline assembly expressions to print some special strings which actually do not
represent assembler instructions of the processor.

   My back end is inspired heavily from the BPF back end but in 2015, when I started my
back end, BPF did not have an AsmParser folder. Do you recommend to get inspired from the
the current AsmParser folder of the BPF back end?
   Any suggestion is warmly welcome.

   If ever, my LLVM back end can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/Connex_be.zip .

   Just to mention, I found some documentation about AsmParser from around 2012:
https://www.embecosm.com/appnotes/ean10/ean10-howto-llvmas-1.0.html#idp86952 .

   Thank you very much,
     Alex