[llvm-dev] [PROPOSAL] Add Bazel Build Configuration to the LLVM Monorepo

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 13:15:43 PST 2021

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 4:01 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <
glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 2/9/21 9:46 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
> >> Is there any chance this can get fixed before accepting Bazel support
> into
> >> LLVM?
> >>

> > Why would this be a limiting factor? It just wouldn't work on those
> > platforms?
>
> Because the portability of the build system shouldn't be limiting the
> portability
> of the project I'm trying to build.

I thought this might be the case :) I'll point to Geoffrey's much more
detailed response then.

> Out of curiosity: Is there any key factor where Bazel beats other build
> systems?

Dependency analysis is quite strong in Bazel, but in this case it's largely
for the other projects that use it as a dependency and not to replace
anything :)

Thanks!

-eric