[llvm-dev] Proposal: Introduce memory comparison intrinsics

Dmitry Makogon via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 6 05:30:11 PST 2021

Our main motivation is to have an atomic variant of memcmp. We discussed extending the pattern matching and we may do it sometime later, but it's not the first on our list.

Regarding non-standard signatures. I think it'd be worth to have an 'isVolatile' flag for non-atomic memcmp (like for memcpy). We cannot pass this flag to a lib function call, so your suggested approach with introducing new libfuncs wouldn't work.
Also introducing the memcmp intrinsic would make the code more consistent and clearer to understand. memcpy, memset, memmove already have intrinsics and we can share some intrinsics optimization. E.g., we could hoist memcpy and memcmp of invariant arrays out of the loop using a generalized code for memory intrinsics.

Dmitry