[llvm-dev] [UPDATE] Disabling inline compilation (Clang with VS2019)

John Emmas via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 3 08:21:30 PST 2021

Just an update to a long gone thread....

Back in September I flagged up some problematic code which was building
fine with MSVC but failing to link when built with Visual Studio and
Clang. In the end, it turned out to be a typo at my end but along the
way we discovered a difference in the way that MSVC and Clang will each
treat functions declared using '__declspec(dllimport) '  Basically,
Clang was sometimes trying to inline them when MSVC wasn't (I've added
the relevant part of the discussion below...)

The devs here said they'd be happy to make Clang's behaviour match MSVC
but that it was traditionally hard to find out what Visual Studio's
'rules' are.  So I posted a question on the VS developer forum - and 3
months later, Microsoft's own devs have finally replied:-

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/__declspecdllimport-and-inline-abili/1537756#T-ND1602459

I know it's ancient history now but given that the situation's been
clarified at last, I figured I might as well feed it back here.
Basically, although the rules can change over time, currently (for
dllimport functions) MSVC carries out 2 simple tests when deciding
whether or not they can be candidates for inlining:-

     1) the MSVC optimizer won't inline a candidate if that candidate
calls some other function - and/or

     2) the MSVC optimizer won't inline a candidate if that candidate
accesses a global variable

For class variables, a static member is treated as being a global variable.

Like I said, I know it's all a long gone problem but I figured
Microsoft's reply would be worth flagging up.  Hope it all helps,

John