[llvm-dev] Support for older format versions in RawInstrProfReader

Petr Hosek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 23 22:52:22 PDT 2021

Currently, while IndexedInstrProfReader provides backwards compatibility
for indexed profile format, RawInstrProfReader only supports the current
version of raw profile format. Has support for older raw profile format
versions in RawInstrProfReader ever been considered?

The reason why I'm asking is that we collect code coverage from both C++
and Rust, but since Clang and Rust toolchains use different version on
LLVM, we need to match each profile with a corresponding llvm-profdata
binary which has been increasing the complexity of our infrastructure quite
a bit.

Using the same llvm-profdata tool would simplify things a lot but would
require backwards compatibility support in RawInstrProfReader. Would that
be desirable?