[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding support for clang-format making further code modifying changes

MyDeveloper Day via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 10 13:41:11 PDT 2021

Whilst I understand the desire to introduce a new binary, its basically
ends up being clang-format underneath, it feels artificial to go this
route, and we did play with this concept but it wasn't universally accepted
either

I kind of agree, but those of us who want these features would simply
rename the binary to clang-format.exe anyway. it would likely read the same
.clang-format file it feels like a decision we'd reverse further down the
line.

At the end of the day, it's exactly why I guess we didn't make a new tool
for "include sorting" or "namespace commenter"

The benefit of keeping it all in clang-format is that it's highly
integrated into external tools so we don't need to reinvent the wheel

MyDeveloperDay