[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding support for clang-format making further code modifying changes

Andrew Tomazos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 10 11:45:04 PDT 2021

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:34 PM Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I think the idea of a separate tool that's built on top of
> clang-format (consuming clang-format as a library with additional
> formatting features) has the most appeal to me.

Right.  Another reason that this may be a good idea is the name
"clang-format".  The word "format" appeals to the term "code formatting",
which is generally accepted to cover only whitespace-related issues
(indentation, line width, spacing, vertical alignment, etc).  Issues that
involve rearranging tokens and syntax, with no semantic impact, are
considered to be, by definition, beyond the scope of "code formatting" and
more issues of "code style" or "coding style".

If you don't like clang-reshape for the new program name, here is a quick
brainstorm of some alternatives:

    clang-style
    clang-styler
    clang-syntactor