[llvm-dev] What to do when a developer ignores post-commit review comments

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 26 08:52:26 PDT 2021

+Konstantin (patch author) and Matt (patch approver) for visibility.

Sometimes folks miss the signal in the noise of the -commits lists,
unfortunately - so probably an email here on the list (at least if the
breakage isn't totally obvious/failing buildbots/etc and noticed
relatively quickly (the longer a patch has been in, the higher the bar
to revert it, generally)), such as this one is probably a good start.
I'd give this thread a day or two to seek if the original author and
reviewer chime in.

Has the bug in the patch been fixed? Are there outstanding functional
issues with the patch as-is?

If the known bug is fixed and there aren't known functional issues
outstanding or fundamental design issues (see, for instance, the
CfgTraits ("RFC: CfgTraits/CfgInterface design discussion") episode
last year), it may not meet the bar for a revert at this point -
though some fairly firm requests for better test coverage could be
warranted. If the author continues not to respond to even this email,
I could see this maybe escalating to a revert - though that's super
rare and I don't think there's a general policy guideline that you
should take away from this thread for that situation - basically in
that situation, having this sort of thread is probably necessary to
gut-check/seek some agreement that it's enough of a problem to revert.

- Dave