[llvm-dev] What to do when a developer ignores post-commit review comments

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 26 05:57:55 PDT 2021

Hi all,

TL;DR - what should you do if a patch author fails to respond to
post-commit review comments? I'm guessing the answer is revert after
sufficient prompting, but how much is sufficient prompting?

Background:

I was not too long ago involved in reviewing a patch on Phabricator (
https://reviews.llvm.org/D95638). I made several comments, and some of
these were addressed. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to come back to
the review at that time, and one or two others made a couple of review
comments themselves. Eventually, after a couple of pings by the patch
author, one of the people on the review approved the patch, and it was
committed. About a week later, one of my colleagues noticed a bug in the
patch, which prompted me to take another look at it. At this point, I
noticed that the patch had landed without several of my comments being
addressed; the patch in particular had (in my opinion) insufficient
testing. I posted these comments on the Phabricator review page for the
patch, asking for them to be addressed. After taking time off for a couple
of weeks, I noticed that the patch author hadn't responded to my comments,
so I prodded them again. A week later and there's still been no response.

What should I do at this point? I can of course revert the patch (and any
subsequent patch that relied on it). Before taking that action though, I
wanted to make sure this was the appropriate approach.

Thanks in advance for advice.

James