[llvm-dev] Inclusion of the ORC runtime in compiler-rt

Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 25 02:21:14 PDT 2021

>    2. Re: Inclusion of the ORC runtime in compiler-rt.
>

> > InstrProfData.inc is shared between LLVM and compiler-rt:
> >

> There's no special mechanism to keep those in sync, we manage them
> manually.
>

> Thanks Petr. That's about the same amount of code that ORC will need to
> share I think. Glad there's a precedent to follow.

Libomptarget has broken free of copy&paste of headers by declaring a build
time requirement for the llvm source tree, from which it includes otherwise
standalone headers.

This is much nicer than manually updating, or having tests that do the
diff, or build scripts that do the copy.

If orc doesn't have a cmake variable from which it can find llvm, it can
warn about that and decline to build.

This will break people who build orc without llvm available anywhere on
disk, until they download llvm or build a local skeleton directory
containing copies of the files. That may be an empty set of people. Noone
complained for libomptarget.

Please seriously consider this strategy instead of duplicating the files.

Jon