[llvm-dev] clang-tidy makes review a pain

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 20 16:34:23 PDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:39 PM Stephen Kelly via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 19/04/2021 20:32, David Blaikie via llvm-dev wrote:
> > eh, I think that's probably the wrong direction for LLVM, actually - I
> > think we've generally encouraged "const" being explicit when it's
> > otherwise wrapped up in "auto" - same as for *.
>
> Neither make sense to be to be honest. I'd very much like to see
> clang-tidy in reviews not complain about it. The '*' is quite easy to
> miss and
>
>      const auto *j1 = getPointer();
>      const auto j2 = getPointer();
>
> mean very different things.

They do, which to me I think means it's valuable/important to include
both const and * to clarify which thing is intended. It's valuable to
know that something is a pointer - cheap to copy, non-owning (not a
unique_ptr, don't have to use std::move on it), etc. It doesn't mean
every type that is cheap to copy and non-owning is documented in this
way - but does help for some types without making the type name
significantly longer/making expressions more unwieldy, etc.

(I'm surprised there wasn't much more discussion around it (perhaps
there was on an llvm-dev thread or the like) when this rule first went
in: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/commit/fc9031cdffa3063ef747bd3a98833f164d07fc4a#diff-38d8333325264c104bb94d32db2248c0384fd39d7dbd8512fb4bb4939e3cf2a4
or

> The latter is also easier to port to a smart
> (or dumb) pointer.

I think it's more important that the code is a bit easier to read than
easier to modify in this way.

- Dave