[llvm-dev] clang-tidy makes review a pain

Stephen Kelly via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 20 15:38:52 PDT 2021

On 19/04/2021 20:32, David Blaikie via llvm-dev wrote:
> eh, I think that's probably the wrong direction for LLVM, actually - I
> think we've generally encouraged "const" being explicit when it's
> otherwise wrapped up in "auto" - same as for *.

Neither make sense to be to be honest. I'd very much like to see
clang-tidy in reviews not complain about it. The '*' is quite easy to
miss and

     const auto *j1 = getPointer();
     const auto j2 = getPointer();

mean very different things. The latter is also easier to port to a smart
(or dumb) pointer.

Thanks,

Stephen.