[llvm-dev] clang-tidy makes review a pain

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 19 10:18:54 PDT 2021

Generally, if clang-tidy feedback is correct/actionable I think it's fine -
if it's muddying up the review, then asking the author to address the
clang-tidy feedback first, before you review the rest seems like a good
approach to me.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 9:31 AM Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I agree that the clang-tidy reporting on your linked patch is quite
> egregious. I think that clang-tidy should only post feedback out of line.
> Ideally, it should only complain about actual violations of the llvm coding
> standards. I see nothing in the coding standards about requiring or
> preferring that stack locals being declared const if they can be.

If that were the policy, I'd object to it (top level const certainly isn't
done pervasively in LLVM and I'd find it "quirky" (& I do push back on it
where it's not already in use as a micro-convention in some file/area of
the code)), but the policy clang-tidy seems to be enforcing is to use
"const" on "auto&" and "auto*" where possible, which while not quite
written in the LLVM style guide, I think has been discussed/generally
encouraged in review - the style guide sort of alludes to it in the example
here:
https://llvm.org/docs/CodingStandards.html#beware-unnecessary-copies-with-auto